[Greenbuilding] Give Me Your Old, Your Tired, Your Stinky and Energy Inefficient....

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 10 12:18:31 CDT 2012

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/08/10/ns-worst-fridge.htm<http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/08/10/ns-worst-fridge.html>

 >>It is curious the extent to which the Nova Scotians are copying* the
 >>mystification of old, unappealing, and inefficient we have perfected here
 >>in the US. The stinky, moldy fridges and freezers are presumably stinky
 >>because they were not in use, or were malfunctioning or both. Those
are not
 >>usefully collected with public or ratepayer dollars. The ones of concern
 >>should be the functioning but inefficient ones, the ones that would have
 >>been kept in use. Ugliest and inefficient are no better equivalents than
 >>oldest and inefficient. When will our energy authorities get a clue?
 >>
 >>*of course the companies doing the collecting are the same :-) ARCA's
logo
 >>made it into the little video clip.

Efficiency Nova Scotia requires that all refrigerators recycled through
the programme be in proper working order.  Each refrigerator is tested
for five to ten minutes on-site before it's carted away; if it doesn't
work, it doesn't leave the property.  The mould and stink would be
presumably due to defrosting/surface condensation after haven been taken
out of service, and then subsequently transported and warehoused with
the doors or lids shut, as evidenced in this video.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/Refrigerator-24hPowerUsage.jpg

 >> The 0.95kWh, is that for 24 hours?

That's correct.