[Greenbuilding] Give Me Your Old, Your Tired, Your Stinky and Energy Inefficient....

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 12:28:18 CDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Paul Eldridge <
paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Efficiency Nova Scotia requires that all refrigerators recycled through
> the programme be in proper working order.  Each refrigerator is tested for
> five to ten minutes on-site before it's carted away; if it doesn't work, it
> doesn't leave the property.  The mould and stink would be presumably due to
> defrosting/surface condensation after haven been taken out of service, and
> then subsequently transported and warehoused with the doors or lids shut,
> as evidenced in this video.

Fair enough. Though the chirpy broadcast gave (me) a different impression.
I suppose it is too much to ask the program literature or the energy
authorities who oversee these programs, or the news crews to note that the
oldest fridges are not the problem, and that ugliness (=out of fashion) is
also not a good indicator of what is at issue.

This is an aside, but since I've accompanied many a crew picking these
fridges up, there is zero incentive *not* to pick up the fridge, working on
not, once the pickup has been scheduled and the trip made. When I toured
ARCA's facility in Compton, CA, there was even a gas-powered fridge mixed
in with the lot of picked up fridges. The ten cubic foot minimum size
requirement that is pretty common to these pick up programs is also rarely
if ever enforced.