[Greenbuilding] Old Nuclear Power Plants? RE: Give Me Your Old, Your Tired, Your Stinky and Energy Inefficient....

Richard Garbary richard6 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 09:57:08 CDT 2012

Thank goodness our provincial (Ontario) government put a halt to new
nukes. It was projected it would cost $10,800 per kilowatt.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2009/07/15/204378/nuclear-power-plant-cost-bombshell-ontario/

I'm not so sure of the benefits of tankless electric. 10 to 20
kilowatts of additional demand and mostly during peak periods sure
puts a burden on an already stressed grid.  Conventional tank water
heaters demand 1.5 to 4.5 kilowatts. Take the hourly consumption chart
of an electric tankless household and replicate it a million times and
I think the point will be clear. Some of my hourly consumption charts
can be found here:  http://flatteningthecurve.wordpress.com/
I would like to see the hourly charts from a tankless household.

The costs associated with coping with demand loads from tankless water
heaters is greater than the costs associated with thermal losses from
tank type water heaters.