[Greenbuilding] Old Nuclear Power Plants? RE: Give Me Your Old, Your Tired, Your Stinky and Energy Inefficient...

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 12 11:53:36 CDT 2012

You'll get no argument from me, Richard, but I'm sure we're in the minority.

FWIW, Nova Scotia Power's on-peak rate is currently 16.435-cents per kWh
and that kicks in as of 07h00 each weekday morning between December 1st
and February 28th; for the remainder of the year, the on-peak rate is
12.638-cents.

The off-peak period runs between 23h00 and 07h00, and that rate is
presently 6.468-cents per kWh.  Thus, once the clock strikes 07h00,
NSP's TOU ratepayers are paying two and a half-times more for
electricity during the three winter months and twice as much the other
nine, with the exception of weekends and holidays.  Needless to say,
unless you shower, do laundry and run the dishwasher between 23h00 and
07h00, your water heating costs with a tankless unit are going to be
much higher than with a suitably sized storage heater that only
recharges during off-peak hours.

Regards,
Paul