[Greenbuilding] old question revisited-tankless heater

Kathy Cochran kathys_old_house at goldrush.com
Tue Feb 21 11:11:31 CST 2012

In my former garage, now turned into a studio, the hot water supply is a
Takagi Jr  -  the smallest one they make. I think it was about $600, but
they may have gone up.  It provides enough water for anything, one function
at a time.  I have NEVER had any problems with it.  The location is on the
other side of the wall from the sink and the shower, so it heats up
immediately, very satisfactorily.  Once I was able to move into the house, I
put a larger Takagi in, that presumably will allow 3 functions (dishwasher,
shower, washing machine) at the same time, but that was probably
unnecessary, in hindsight, because the dishwasher wants all the water
pressure available, and the washing machine only runs on cold water anyway,
99% of the time!  I can really tell the difference that longer pipes make  -
the water heater sits right below my kitchen window under the sink (outside)
and that is pretty "instant" but to get to the shower, it takes longer.

I have just always wondered why it continues to fire even though the faucet
has been turned off - for at least a minute, it seems, although I have never
actually timed it.  Does anyone have any ideas about that?

Kathy

San Andreas, California