[Greenbuilding] old question revisited-tankless heater

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Sat Feb 25 23:46:28 CST 2012

If it is practical to install one, a drain water heat exchanger in
partnership with a small electric instant heater could go well. The heat
exchanger is the deal-maker as it relieves the duty of the heater and, the
colder your winter water is, the better it rises to the occasion. The main
reason why I got into heat exchangers in the first place was that our crude
little 12kW instant water heater was only just up to the job in the winter.
The heat exchanger made all the difference.

The number of people is barely relevant, it's the appliances in simultaneous
use that matters.  Reducing the number of people simply reduces the chances
of that happening.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW

    While very interesting,  I have no experience with those lesser
expensive small heaters that supply around 4gal/minute with a temperature
rise of 45 degrees.  In the winter our cold water is very cold, so I think
that rise is an important #, so these small heaters, suitable for RVs and
outdoor showers may not do it for us.  Could you folks comment on these for
regular indoor coordinated one/two person use?