[Greenbuilding] Low powered (wattage) water heaters availablethrough Hydro Quebec

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Sun Jan 1 17:18:24 CST 2012

  -----Original Message-----
  From: greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org]On Behalf Of Reuben
Deumling

  With tank water heaters that are always 'plugged in' and controlled by a
thermostat the only way I can see a TOU tariff having an effect on demand is
if

   (b) some kind of switching were used to cycle the DHW off for periods of
peak usage.

  That's what happens. You get the one with the other. And just to make
sure, if you wanted off-peak rates, you had to have electric water heating,
and there was a minimum size, water heater.

  Now that we have smart metering available, it is available to all, and any
water heater can take advantage of cheap rates. We first got the advantage
with an instant electric because we shower late at night. We now use an 80
litre storage with a timer. This tank would not have been allowed on the old
system.  The incentive for us to change was that we have a grey water heat
exchanger and the storage heater enabled us to use it all year round.

  Nick Pyner

  Dee Why   NSW