[Greenbuilding] studies on CFLs and health issues + Public Health SOS: the Shadow Side of the Wireless Revolution

Kathy Ging kathy at kathyging.com
Tue Jan 3 03:46:14 CST 2012

A lot of info is out there about CFLs untoward effects - not just the mercury when one breaks.

I did have one break when I could not breathe the day I had installed a 70% wool carpet in my living room on a very hot day
- I went to the ER at 3 am because of the OTHER 30% petrochemical fibers affecting my breathing, and I was co-founder of the SW OR
chapter of the NW EcoBuilding Guild and knew that up to 180 chemicals can be used in regular carpet.  I leaned against the stand up lamp
and it fell and the bulb broke.

RE: CFLS - see MagdaHavas.com (for her credentials MagdaHavas.org - her initial publications in 1975 were on acid rain)
note Prevention magazine (a pub of Rodale Press)  from 2009 cited on her site:

http://www.magdahavas.com/2009/11/11/prevention-magazine-warns-public-about-compact-bulbs/

The Dark Side of CFL Light Bulbs
http://www.magdahavas.com/2009/10/06/the-dark-side-of-the-cfl/

and
a 4 part series on CFLs
http://www.magdahavas.com/2009/10/05/global-tv-dirty-electricity/

and
Epilepsy 360 Degrees
http://www.magdahavas.com/2009/10/07/epilepsy-360-degrees/

RE: fluorescent light  tubes - for decades I have had a tendency to want to fall asleep in institutions of higher ed or other public buildings
where tube fluorescents have been used.  Literally, I want to close my eyes and sleep which is why I now keep my laptop
with me so that I can type to stay awake.  This may have to do with my abnormal brain waves! - having a triple Virgo
aspect and being born under the full harvest moon in Pisces probably has produced some degree of lunacy!

Check out Dirty Electricity re the Diseases of Civilization by Washington state M.D. Sam Milham   SamMilham.com, only $14, where he cites a building where
dirty electricity was causing breast cancer in MEN>

I bought 10 copies of that and 15 copies of PUBLIC HEALTH SOS: The Shadow Side of the Wireless Revolution by Magda Havas and Camilla Rees
into more _healthful_ cell phone use.  I keep mine turned off almost all the time now and do not use my DECT phone at home as much either.

Oh well, live and learn --- or not --- and let the birds, bees, bats and butterflies continue to decline?  (don't forget moths - as Tennessee Williams wrote in Lament
for the Moths  -  _Enemies of the delicate everywhere have breathed a pestilent mist into the air._

Dr. Havas, I heard from Sam Milham, is doing a study on electro smog from cell phones and...bees.

I no longer use a CFL next to my head when I read.  Years ago I used a TriMeter and found high readings from the earlier model CFL that had a built in ballast.
I had replaced it with a more modern CFL and now I use an incandescent.  The man who made the Deep Green movie ($2 million 2 years in the making)
suggested at a lecture in Eugene that we go straight to LEDs - which have their own issues as the recent issue of Environmental Building News describes.

As a pal with a Ph.D. in public health remarked: perhaps we should listen to the author of the book on light suggesting that we return to living by the cycles of the sun for more healthful living!

With four billion wireless devices on the planet in use and seven billion people - we can only wait with suspended breath for the results of our collection actions...and inaction to eventually affect
all sentient beings. Frankly, I am more worried about their survival than ours.

As Havas remarks in small letters on a postage stamp size drawing of a cell phone tower on the back cover of PUBLIC HEALTH SOS:

WHO CARES?

ALL ZEE BEST IN ZEE WEST!
~-~   ~-~   ~-~   ~-~   ~-~
Kathy Ging, M.A., G.R.I.