[Greenbuilding] studies on CFLs and health issues

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 4 13:01:12 CST 2012

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 12:53:02 -0500, john bone
<johnbone at gateshead.plus.com> wrote:
> A Scottish Vet (animal MD)
> told me that CFLs and LEDs and even some PCs & laptops had brought
> several dog owners into his surgery over newly "upset" dogs.

I suspect that the dogs were upset by the Windoze operating systems on the
PCs.
They drive me nutz too.

I'm pretty sure that they prefer Ubuntu (Linux) but are okay with Mac OS.

And an ex who was a veterinarian (albeit Irish rather than Scottish) used
to get her hackles up because oftentimes she'd encounter people who would
say

    "Oh, you're a just a veterinarian (DVM), not a *real* MD."

Her beef was that MDs only had to deal with one species (ie humanids)
whereas DVMs would have to know how to deal with multiple species (
canids, felids, bovids, porcid, reptiles, birds etc) and in her case, when
a biker had been knifed at a bar brawl late at night and left outside
needing immediate attention, sometimes humanids too.

Further, she argued that MDs had it easier because they could use verbal
communication with their patients whereas DVMs would have to rely upon
body language and non-verbal communication.

But I digress. What were we talking about again  Oh yeah, dogs and noisy
flourescents.

That was one of the other things about institutional building flourescent
lighting (besides ocular sensitivity to the UV radiation) that drove me
nuts ... the squeal (and no, I'm not part dog) . With long-term exposure,
the squeal which was initially maddening to me became bearable almost to
the point of being unnoticeable, I suppose like the constant noise one
hears at night in cities.

Similarly, I find the low-frequency hum that one hears near overhead
high-tension wires to be bothersome whereas there are thousands of people
living in homes right next to them who don't seem to have any problem with
the noise.
Maybe they never listened to Frank Zappa's tune on the subject ?

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")