[Greenbuilding] hotter water

larencorie at axilar.net larencorie at axilar.net
Sat Jul 7 14:14:58 CDT 2012

From: "Nick Pyner" <npyner at tig.com.au>

> I recall seeing a picture of a solar heating system using
> two tanks. One was seriously big and the other only about
> 100 litres, if that. I have no idea where it is, I never
> understood it, and I can't recall any pipes visible, but
> I now believe the little one served as an intermediate,
> i.e.  just another heat exchanger, while the real storage
> was obviously in the large one. This would enable the
> medium to be pumped rapidly through the collector while
> circulation through the storage is kept slow - and gentle!

Hi Nick;

 The large tank may be a Solar preheat tank, and the
smaller one a conventional gas or electric backup tank
heater, to bring the water temperature up to 120-140F.
That is an arrangement that has been used a lot.

 -Laren Corie-
 Natural Solar Building Design
 and Consxultation, Since 1975
 www.ThermalAttic.com

 Read my Solar house design articles in:
 -Energy Self-Sufficiency Newsletter-
 www.rebelwolf.com/essn.html

 Home base-LittleHouses YahooGroup
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleHouses/

 Founder-WoodGas - Power from wood
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas

 Founder-RefrigeratorAlternatives YahooGroup
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RefrigeratorAlternatives