[Greenbuilding] FW: ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 23:08:44 CDT 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_on_a_pig

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Matt Dirksen <dirksengreen at gmail.com>wrote:

> How is a dryer any different than an air conditioner, a tv set, or a dish
> washer?

I mean, really?

They aren't all that different. We managed for thousands of years without
all of 'em, and will again soon enough. But of all those I'd venture that
the first and the last in your list are the easiest to substitute with
clothes pins and a scrub brush and a little elbow grease.

> Imho, it's about friggin time they bring in clothes driers... Especially
> if it compels companies and consumers to create and buy more efficient ones.

A more efficient clothes dryer is not going to solve anything. So what if
they come up with a model that uses 25% less than the current standard, or
40%. If we're on the hook to phase out coal and oil and natural gas--and we
are--what the hell are we doing planning for yet more fossil fuel powered
clothes dryers? This is just nuts.

> I never understood why they didn't encourage them in the first place.

For the same reason it was decided to skip Energy Guide labels for these
categories of appliances way back when. There was essentially no variation
across the market. They all worked on the same principle.