[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 23 12:29:47 CDT 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:43:57 -0400, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn
<info at ecobrooklyn.com> wrote:

> I remember a quote from a Native American Indian in the book Manahatta
> that went something like, "We moved camp whenever the stink became
> unbearable."
> Only collectively we can't move planets.

... say the guy who not that long ago talked about how we should be
colonising outer space.

I'm with David (I think it was ) on this one, who suggested a paraphrasing
of Ghandi's

"Be the change that you want to see in the world "

I also think that "Convenience" should be a four letter word in GreenSpeak
and is closely related to Sloth.

I believe that it is sloth which makes people choose "convenience" over
"doing the right thing" when it comes to minimising one's environmental
impact and First Worlders it seems, are incredibly slothful.

That being said, when a Green building list degenerates into
pontifications (like the above) rather than talking about actual nuts and
bolts , I think it's a sign that the End (of the Greenbuilding email
listserver) is Near.  ie Greenbuilding is so mainstream now that there's
not much new to talk about anymore.

But here's a thought:

Are Green Roofs (aka Living Roofs") in urban areas a fire hazard ?

Here in Kanata, we've not gotten any rain in what seems like a month or
more. It could be raining buckets 5 kms away and one would not know it
here.

In any case, I was in Ottawa (where they are experiencing a drought as
well, but perhaps to a lesser extent than here) the other day and noticed
that the tall vegetation on the National War Museum's Green roof, like
much of the grass in this area, was brown.  There are forest fires burning
all around this area . The thought occurred to me that it wouldn't take
much to set that roof-full of crunchy-brown vegetation on the roof of the
War Museum on fire and once burning, I'm sure that all the plast-echhh! &
petro-based root barriers/moisture barriers underneath wouldn't take much
enticement to fire-up.

And "no" I don't think corn cobs would be put to good use on Green roofs.
Initially, they would steal valuable nitrogen from whatever growing media
is there to the detriment of the vegetation that was trying to survive and
they take a long time to decompose.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")