[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 11:33:25 CDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Matt Dirksen <dirksengreen at gmail.com>wrote:

> We line dry less and use a dryer more due to several reasons beyond
> convenience.

I'm curious what the other reasons are?

What I do wish for is for a little screen on top of the dryer to remind me
> of just how many kwh's I just consumed to dry a load.

On clothes dryers that predate circuit boards I think this was a pretty
straightforward calculation, a function of the cycle time. If you know the
wattage of the heating element + the much smaller motor draw and multiply
this by the cycle time you'd get pretty close.
According to the test in the link below a typical cycle might correspond to
~2 kWh.

This paper tests (the electricity consumption of) conventional and
condensing clothes dryers:
http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/build98/PDF/b98148.pdf

> Infact, it might be a nice thing to have something like that on all the
> big energy consumers in one's home.

Those exist in a number of different configurations, from the mundane P3
Kill-a-Watt for now <$20 to the much more elaborate & expensive gadgets,
some of which hook onto your breaker panel or kWh meter on the side of your
house.