[Greenbuilding] Jevon's and plumbers

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 30 18:31:58 CDT 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:55:16 -0400, David Bergman <bergman at cyberg.com>
wrote:

> ... but modern life is so complicated.
> The cable box, I'm pretty sure, itself has to
> stay powered

I suspect that the following will offend many but that's my job, eh ?

I'm compelled to say that this is another of those First Worlders' False
Dilemmas.

Up until last November, I was subscribed to a satellite TV provider with
four satellite receivers connected to the dish's LNB head, plus a digital
HDTV + DVD recorder connected to each of those receivers.
And the thing is, there was only one person in the house who actually
watched the TV (she has since passed away, hence the cancellation of the
subscription).

The satellite receivers had to be connected to a live power source 24/7 or
else they would lose the data that provided user interface information
like programming choices, PPV, installation settings etc..

Now, without the sat TV, everything can be powered off, killing them at
the power bar/surge protector switch.

That's probably not news to anyone. The surprising thing is that on the
occasions when the TV is turned on, the over-the-air reception which is
now all broadcast in digital format, is actually of a better picture
quality than the "high definition" channels that came via satellite.

While it is true that over-the-air reception only provides about 11
stations (at this location outside of urban area) as opposed to the 300 or
400 that satellite provided, one really doesn't feel like one is missing
anything.  And if there is some program that one feels that it is
absolutely necessary to see, chances are it can be downloaded or streamed
 from the WWWeb on demand.

What's my point ? Cable or satellite subscriptions (and the associated
"always-on" paraphernalia like set-top boxes) would seem to be redundant
in this era of over-the-air digital broadcasting and broadband Internet
connections.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")