[Greenbuilding] heretical observation

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 14:49:32 CDT 2012

There are a bunch of attempts to calculate what we might call *bicycling
mpg *for short.
Here's one
http://truecostblog.com/2010/05/27/fuel-efficiency-modes-of-transportation-ranked-by-mpg/

Where I'd differ with you, Corwyn, is that the differential between what we
eat anyway, and what we eat if we sit on a pedal powered machine is the
relevant quantity. Those extra calories or BTUs I think we are able to
convert into electricity at better rates than your 10:1 ratio suggests.

Besides, even though my electricity comes from wind turbines I've wanted to
power my fridge with a pedal generator for longer than I've been a member
of this greenbuilding list. BTUs are only one parameter. And we grow our
own veggies!