[Greenbuilding] crushed brick

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Mon Jun 11 15:33:15 CDT 2012

depends on the brick.  is it salmon colored, with slightly rounded edges?
more like 8 1/2" inches long?  is the mortar that is still stuck powdery?
then it's probably a soft brick, not fired at a high temp.  not so reliable.

if not, pick one up and rap it with a hammer--does it make the hammer
ring?  smack it hard enough to break it--are the shards sharp?  is it
cored?  is it shorter than 8" (modular)?  are the mortar remnants as hard
as the brick?  is the surface shiney?  striated vertically?  or bark-like?
probably a well fired brick that would last a good while.

-AA