[Greenbuilding] HPWH -> phaseout of coal fired electricity? I don't think so

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:27:05 CDT 2012

how about this for a thought experiment?

(1) transition away from all electric resistance end use technologies:
water & space heating, cooking, hair drying, incandescent lights, toaster
ovens;
=> winter peak goes away, thanks mostly to the first two

(2) institute a rapidly rising kWh tariff, e.g., +1cent/yr for next twenty
years;
=> electricity consumption drops across the board due to the predictability
of the price signal and existing alternatives

(3) invest in PV, solar thermal, wood-burning at the household scale,
perhaps subsidized through above tariff;
=> we can phase out coal burning in _years