[Greenbuilding] best low gpf toilet these days?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:13:39 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Jason Holstine <jason at amicusgreen.com>wrote:

> Toto just announced a single-flush 1.0 GPF toilet that I hear should be
> coming out later this Fall.

Fascinating.
I just looked this one up and found the following (somewhat anachronistic
hype):
*Introducing the industry’s first one gallon per flush (gpf) ultra
high-­‐efficiency toilet that offers TOTO's state-­‐of-­‐the art Double
Cyclone flushing system. The new gravity-­‐fed, two-­‐piece 1G Double
Cyclone marries flawless performance and exceptional bowl cleansing action
to ultra high-­‐efficiency water-­‐savings, creating a clean, green
flushing system that saves money, water, and time.*

Here are the specs:http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1214
looks pricey.

What is amusing to me is that the house I grew up in had 1 gpf Eljer
toilets installed 25 years ago (that would be several years before the
1.6gpf EPA standard went into effect. They are still there and never
stopped working really well. We've replaced flapper valves and the handles
of course. I've long tried to find out more about them, about what happened
to that design, why that model didn't stick around, etc.