[Greenbuilding] basement daylighting

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 6 08:00:30 CDT 2013

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 13:39:29 -0400, Brian Milani <bmilani at web.ca> wrote:

> basement exercise/meditation roomone of the windows opens to the crawl
> space of the front porch.
>
>  big grate  ... tempered glass ... plexiglass... light tube

Brian;

A big grate would be really nice for dropping keys,
hard-to-source-but-critical-nonetheless small parts, heirloom jewelry etc
into the nether regions of the crawlspace. $#!+ happens.

Tempered glass or plexiglass on a front porch that people inevitably with
wet footwear will traverse is an accident waiting to happen.

A variation on the light tube idea seems to be one of the better options
but instead of a store-bought affair with the domed top maybe you borrow
the old idea of placing mirrors around a candle during power outages to
"amplify" available light.

Maybe you can find some of those old grid-textured glass block at one of
the local salvage yards and use them to cast a 3-row panel of glass block
floor deck along the full length of the porch floor adjacent to the wall
of the house (ie where foot traffic would be non-existent) and place an
array of salvaged tempered mirror panel shower doors under the porch floor
to collect/amplify/reflect light to the window well(s), the basement
window being glazed with a translucent material so as to eliminate glare.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")