[Greenbuilding] Get a puppy and help save the environment!

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 09:06:29 CDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:54 AM, sanjay jain <sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Yes, you are missing a big part of the picture. Most computers are
> replaced not due to any faulty part, but software issues (Alan's complaint
> about incompatibility is essentially a software issue).
>

> A lot of people on Craigslist/ebay are selling "refurbished" computers -
> that simply meant the OS was reinstalled.

Right.  So are you saying that the folks above who replace their computers
because of software issues *have not had success reinstalling the OS*? I'm
*not* savvy with computers, but feel like perhaps we're talking about two
different approaches, different sets of priorities, here.
I'm running Office 2003 and Windows XP (Version 2002) on an IBM Thinkpad I
bought used 6.5 years ago. It is my sole computer and I used it 3-8
hrs/day. Are you saying I can't expect to use this going forward because of
X?

> Two words to get Alan ranting again: Planned Obselence

I am familiar with that, yes. But it isn't in my experience an iron rule,
just an unfortunate principle with plenty of work arounds, though perhaps
fewer with computers than with mechanical objects.