[Greenbuilding] Foam installed between framing during framing

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Thu Jan 3 14:27:53 CST 2013

> > My reasoning for this statement is around the huge amount of
> opportunities
> > for leaks, due to:
> > possible inaccuracy in cutting the EPS.
> > fitting the EPS around the metal truss plates holding all the cords
> > together.
> > the inevitable wood movement, (designed in by Mother Nature), of the
> truss
> > members,
> > as well as the fact that most top chord members of commercially
> constructed
> > trusses are 2"x3" or 2"x4" in width, which is not very much thickness for
> > the EPS insulation, as far as R-value is concerned.
> > It is my take on it that trying to make a conditioned and useful space
> out
> > of an attic has more problems associated than there are solutions.
> > However, I could be wrong about this.

not sure what the climate is for this project, or what other things are
going on in the house--but it is not unforseeable that in a very cold
climate, in an old house with moisture from a number of sources--basement
walls and slab, poorly vented kitchen and baths, etc--that the attic could
become humid enough, and the exposed edges of the trusses cold enough to
cause condensation.  (particularly a 2x3 chord--although I have never seen
a TPI type truss with less than a 2x4 member)

a WUFI run through would confirm or confound this...

AA