[Greenbuilding] Heat pump vs radiant

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 25 12:41:55 CDT 2013

I would be tempted to model a hybrid to see which combinations would work
best for the space. You need an air system in any event so something that
has the potential of conditioning that air makes sense. Radiant can require
less power and is easily integrated into the materials and structure of an
earthship.

I work in a rural context and am not a huge fan of geothermal installations
as they have become somewhat fashionable and often are done poorly or
invasively at considerable expense. It depends on what other aspects of the
land are being developed (roadways, wells, etc.).  Considering the earthwork
required for an earthship integrating geothermal is definitely something to
consider. Rurally its about how heavy the footprint is (always keep Thoreau
handy as a harpy on your shoulder).