[Greenbuilding] NYC 90% emissions cut with windows

Michael Iversen miversen at uic.edu
Wed Mar 20 15:43:07 CDT 2013

Jason ... "so you start by shooting for the sky then work backwards" is
the correct course, except one has to know exactly what's in the sky
(atmosphere) first before setting goals and targets. The Urban Green
Council report is based on the goal of a CO2 atmospheric concentration
of less than 450ppm, citing a paper by climate scientist James Hansen
and an outdated IPCC 2007 Report. Problem is that James Hansen, a
pioneer of climate science, has been on record since 2008 that CO2 will
need to be reduced to 350ppm, and likely less than that. Hansen states
(Target Atmospheric CO2: Where Should Humanity Aim?, /The Open
Atmospheric Science Journal, 2, /1, 217-231, 2008) that if an overshoot
of a 350ppm CO2 target is not brief, there is a possibility of seeding
irreversible catastrophic effects. How brief? If the world continues on
a business-as-usual path for even another decade (from 2008), prospects
for avoiding a dangerously large, extended overshoot of the 350 ppm
level will be dim. A CO2 amount of 450 ppm or larger, if long
maintained, would push Earth toward an ice-free state. As of Feb. 2013,
atmospheric concentration is 397ppm.

Therefore, amazingly enough, a 90% GHG emission reduction by 2050 is a
recipe for risking irreversible catastrophic change, as 2050 will likely
be far too late.

Why? Because GHG concentrations only decrease when global emissions are
less than the rate of the planet's capacity for sequestration (removal).
Currently, there are about 9.1 billion metric tons of global CO2
emissions per year, with a global capacity for sequestration (by oceans,
plants and soils) of about 5 billion metric tons per year. So about 4.1
billion metric tons are added each year to the atmosphere, with no place
to go, thus increasing the current concentration to 397ppm. As a matter
of fact, 25% of CO2 emissions stays in the atmosphere for several
centuries. So merely reducing emissions is not a solution. Even zero
emissions is no longer a viable solution to reach 350ppm, as we have to
remove more atmospheric CO2 than emissions to have any effect on CO2
concentrations. An immediate cut of around 60 to 70% globally and
continued further cuts over time will /merely to stabilize atmospheric
concentrations/ of CO2/, /and that would still leave us with a radiative
imbalance that would lead to /an additional 0.3 to 0.8ºC warming// /over
the 21st Century, that assumes no major carbon cycle feedbacks kick in,
which is highly unlikely
<http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/02/17/207552/nsidc-thawing-permafrost-will-turn-from-carbon-sink-to-source-in-mid-2020s-releasing-100-billion-tons-of-carbon-by-2100/>.

The prescribed energy retrofits of the Urban Green Council should be
seen as mitigative measures only, and need to be coupled with adaptive
measures for NYC in terms of forthcoming climate change and associated
impacts.

Mike Iversen