[Greenbuilding] Perceptions of Nature & Reality

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Tue May 28 13:15:08 CDT 2013

I see the same thing all the time Sanjay.
But I think we need to separate
1. the means of measuring energy/carbon/environmental impact and
2.  the means of motivating people to act in a more environmental manner.

We have easy units for energy.  carbon should be easy to measure (mass) but how to get from an action to net carbon impact is harder.  Measuring environmental impact if even less precise and certainly worth discussing how to do this.

On 2013-05-28, at 12:35 PM, sanjay jain <sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Absolutely agree, we have to stop using money as the comparison.
>
> We went to Mount Vernon on Sunday, en route I noticed hundreds of lights on during the day, outdoor metro stops, street lights, outside buildings... escalators running when no one is using them, etc. etc.
>
> If talking in money worked, non of the above would happen. But energy terms will probably not help either. The answer may lie in a carbon footprint number. But then again, marketing folks will find a way to make wasteful numbers look good.
>
> ~sanjay

John Straube
www.JohnStraube.com