[Greenbuilding] Old buildings = better energy performance; why? NYT

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 12:40:41 CST 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Jason Holstine <jason at amicusgreen.com>wrote:

> I have little doubt it’s about expectations (modern times: why should I
> have to wear a sweater in Feb) and quality of craftsmanship. Back in the
> day: thick walls, mass, heavy loads.

These were pretty much my assumptions as well, but I think the study is not
a time-series effort but a snapshot of buildings (old and new) today. So
unless older buildings have older people with older attitudes about comfort
living in them I'm not sure how measurable this would be.

> Post-war: process efficiency, quick turnaround and profitability trump
> quality and longevity.  For commercial buildings, newer buildings have more
> glass and modern electrical and communications services, allowing more PCs,
> server farms, routers, printers, monitors, faxes and technology to run
> constantly.

How many plug loads and how fancy the HVAC is would seem to be an obvious
correlate to age of the building.