[Greenbuilding] Heating?

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 17 09:30:45 CDT 2013

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:18:10 -0400, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn
<info at ecobrooklyn.com> wrote:

> I have a Brooklyn client for whom we are assembling a bunch of shipping
> containers to make an art studio. Three containers on the bottom level
> and  two on the top level

> minimally insulated,

> he doesn't see the (R!) value in spending lots of money on insulation

My first inclination was to suggest that the "artist" be euthanised by
non-medical means-- but that would be unkind (to him) and I suspect,
illegal.

My second inclination was to suggest that the guy be given a kite and be
told to go self-breed himself off of a tall building but he'd probably
disregard the suggestion just go and find some other schmoe to assemble
his carbuncle rather than contemplate the folly of his ways and
re-evaluate the scheme to come up one that is more Green.

Assuming that the artist's work materials are not susceptible to frost
damage and that the heating strategy only has to address the matter of
keeping the artist warm enough so that he/she can function, then perhaps
the strategy becomes one of making a quickly demountable/portable
workspace comprised of superinsulated panels that clip either to each
other for structural integrity or to a demountable/portable frame, say
like construction scaffolding.

Perhaps the superinsulated panels are made of salvaged rigid insulation
skinned with sheet metal taken from salvaged refrigerator carcases or
such-like.  The sheet metal skins are to protect the foamed plast-ecch!
 from unintended combustion due to careless/irresponsible exposure to
ignition sources.

If planned well, it's highly likely that the superinsulated workspace
could be kept warm with the output from a solar collector mounted atop the
highest shipping container, piped (via insulated hose) to a radiator in
the workspace.

For summer, maybe a shaded patio open to the breezes, on top of one of the
shipping containers.

Now that would be a project that a Green builder might want to be involved
with.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")