[Greenbuilding] Copper tank?

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Mon Sep 16 09:23:00 CDT 2013

On intrinsic values:  fondness aside for the "king of drinks," as RL
Stevenson would have it, the pages of a tattered and well thumbed copy of
Architectural Graphic Standards (8th Edition), which was my closest brush
with formal training in the subject, are approximately 9 1/2" X 11" X 1
1/2" thick.  If that represents one board foot of pulpwood, it should be
worth about fifty cents.  to me, like a fifth of Talisker, "priceless."

AA

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM, RT <archilogic at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:51:49 -0400, Grace Alden <speireag at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  On 2013/09/01, at 19:37, Topher wrote:
>>
>>  Scrap copper is currently around $2.50 / pound around here.  That might
>>> give you a basis for pricing the tank.
>>>
>>> 30 gallons is a lot of thermal mass if you were to use it as a radiator;
>>> it might well over heat the bathroom.
>>>

>>         True.  The bathroom idea is probably unworkable.  But I can think
>> of a few such applications which might work.
>>

> My guess is that a scalpel blade contains less than a bucks-worth of steel
> in terms of scrap value but in the hands of a surgeon it could save a life
> and as such, it'd be priceless.
>
> A copper tank built to withstand pressurised boiling water is IMO worth
> far more than its scrap value.
>
> What if that 30 gallon boiler were used as a still to make single malt
> whiskey ? 30 gallons of single malt at a conservative price of $40 per 70
> cl ? About $7,000. (To AA-Man, he'd probably say "priceless". Me ? I'm a
> tea-totaler.)
>
> If I were selling that copper tank, I wouldn't give it away for $200.
> --
> === * ===
> Rob Tom                                 AOD257
> Kanata, Ontario, Canada
>
> < A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
> (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")

Alan Abrams*
**certified professional building designer, AIBD
certified passive house consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS**
*Abrams Design Build LLC
*sustainable design for intentional living*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com