[Greenbuilding] Glass roofing

Clarke Olsen colsen at fairpoint.net
Wed Aug 13 21:07:48 CDT 2014

My favorite pitch is 7.5/12, aka 10 in 16. When I started reviving a 19th cent church, I measured the roof pitch to find this odd dimension,
and assumed it had sagged from a sensible 8/12, but no, that's a Greek proportion: the diagonal of the Golden Mean. All the old barns
and churches have that pitch, which I came to see as the shallowest that would shed snow and the steepest I could walk on. And it looks right. Ballon framing a gable end at 16"oc yields studs are in 10" increments.
Clarke Olsen
clarkeolsendesign.com
373 route 203
Spencertown, NY 12165