[Greenbuilding] state of the art stove/bathroom exhaust fans?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 14:26:45 CST 2014

I'm a little fuzzy on all of these parameters. I know the terminology but
am not clear on the exact relationships, for instance, between temperature
and (relative) humidity and the dewpoint. Anyone have a good primer they
can recommend?
I'm frankly a little perplexed where all this humidity is coming from
inside my house. In the basement (72% RH) the only obvious source of
moisture (water vapor) that I can think of is the water heater, which is of
course vented outside. In the living space (72% RH at 62F, dropping to 60%
at 70F), there is cooking and showering and exhaling. But those RH numbers
still seem high to me. Are there tests or procedures for finding out where
the moisture is coming from?
As for condensing it, a dehumidifier is a fairly obvious choice. I'm not
thrilled about that running in the background all the time, but I've
wondered if running one (for a period) would perhaps help diagnose the
sources of moisture.