[Greenbuilding] stealing heat from a woodstove for water heating

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 18:54:50 CST 2014

Also might be a good idea if you have fire insurance to check with your
agent as to whether it is OK or not to mess around with a stove if it has a
U.L. label. Normally the insurance requires the label, and the label only
applies to a stove installed "according to the terms of its listing".

Creosote (tar) can only be created from a smoldering fire, by the way. A
flaming fire can only make soot. With a flaming fire, you can drop your
chimney temperature as much as you want, and will not get creosote. With a
smoldering fire, you want as high a chimney temperature as possible to
minimize flammable deposits. The ideal creosote creator is an unlined water
cooled metal firebox, like you see in outdoor boilers. Some of them are
able to convert 10% of the weight of the wood into tar droplets

--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders