[Greenbuilding] air sealing a metal fireplace flue

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 27 13:06:07 CST 2014

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:20:21 -0500, Alan Abrams
<alan at abramsdesignbuild.com> wrote:

>  air sealing the flue.

> manufacturer, states that a two inch clearance must be maintained around
> the 6" ID / 8" OD double wall flue pipe.
> given the primary air barrier is the roof sheathing itself, the most
> reasonable sounding option seems to be a sheet metal flange, cut to fit
> the elliptical section where the pipe penetrates the sheathing with a
> gap of
> maybe 1/4", and caulk it with some high temp pookie.  the sheet metal can
> then be sealed to the sheathing with some of Ken Levenson's best sticky
> tape.
>
> this would still leave the individual joints in the piping

The stainless steel insulated chimney that I installed in my own home has
2-inch thick walls (7 inch inside diameter, 11 inch outside diameter)
required that a two inch clearance be maintained between it and insulation
or framing.

I started the insulated chimney at the ceiling of the first floor level so
it runs through a double-height second storey conditioned interior space
before penetrating the interior air barrier at the second storey ceiling
and entering the roof insulation/framing cavity.

Rather than have the chimney penetrate the A/B through an elliptical hole
in a sloped ceiling, the penetration point was changed to a horizontal
plane so that a smaller, round penetration (ie easier to ensure a good
fit) would be required.

A sheet metal flange with a hole cut 3/4 inch smaller in diameter than the
O/D of the chimney was used.
The edges of the hole were then peened over to create a "turtleneck"
collar to fit nicely around the chimney and provide a pocket for a ring of
silicon firestop caulking .

5 inch wide sheet metal collars (ie same width as auxiliary support
brackets) were installed over the joints between chimney sections, two
bolts on either side of the joint. The collars not only helped to seal the
joints between the chimney sections, they beefed up the joints helping to
make the relatively tall chimney assembly more rigid.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")