[Greenbuilding] $25 Radon Test + ETR Health Scan RE: Water Softener Filters

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Sat Feb 21 17:30:22 CST 2015

RT is on point here:

"Mashing takes place using water from three springs in the flat lying land
at Qrquil about two miles west of the distillery. This water is hard. There
is a general belief that soft water must be used for Scotch whisky *but
this is incorrect*. Much of the water in Scotland is soft the rain having
flowed over crystalline rock. But in areas of limestone and sandstone hard
water emerges and such supplies are used in well known distilleries such as
Glenmorangie, Glenkinchie and Highland Park. The water which percolates
through the sandstone becomes rich in carbonates and sulphates and such is
the process water used in Scapa." [italics added]

http://www.scapamalt.com/Distillery/DistillingProcess.aspx

Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
HELICON WORKS *Achitecture and Education*
<http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>