[Greenbuilding] over-insulating

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 07:43:35 CST 2016

This reminds me of an interesting concept from Fairbanks, Alaska:
Alaska building researchers have developed a popular super envelope system
that reduces your heat load practically to zero. It adds about $100,000 to
the cost of conventional 2x4 framing construction up there. A heater mason
friend and a plumber colleague developed the following idea, that has been
very successful in practice:

- skip the $100,000 envelope add-on
- use 2x6 framing w, 2" foam on the outside, tight construction, good attic
insulation, etc.
- design in a wood fired masonry heater with a hot water system.

- you now have an extremely clean and efficient fireplace, plus just enough
heat load and heat storage that you can fire the masonry heater once a day
and have it make all your domestic hot water.
- domestic hot water is very expensive in Alaska, so you get a great
payback.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree, Bob.
>
> I was using Frank's term, and compared to what is generally recommended
> (for our climate zone) eleven inches would probably be considered
> excessive.
> Mostly I posted this little summary because it seems like it confirms my
> long-standing hunch that you can achieve something along the lines of what
> is promised in the Passivhaus fine print without spending a mint or using
> crazy gizmos or materials.
>
> I like heating with wood, and think I'll miss it when it becomes merely an
> occasional thing, but then there is the weeks and months I don't need to
> look for, cut and split and stack and haul and restack and move and move
> again, and make fires every day for 5-6 months of every year....
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Bob Waldrop <bwaldrop1952 at att.net> wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that you didn't "over-insulate," instead, you insulated
>> the "right amount".  Ever since we defied all the local conventional wisdom
>> and put nine inches of insulation into our walls by insulating the existing
>> walls and then building new walls five inches inside of the exterior walls
>> and insulating those, we've been enjoying lower heating and air
>> conditioning bills.  Personally, I think that generally most builders
>> underinsulate businesses and condemn their occupants to perpetual indenture
>> to utility companies.
>>
>> Bob Waldrop, Okie City
>>
>> On 1/28/2016 10:17 PM, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn wrote:
>>
>> Congrats Ruben on your remodel. Sounds great.

>> --
>> Sent from Mobile, excuse the brevity.
>> Gennaro Brooks-Church, Director
>> Eco Brooklyn