[Greenbuilding] Earthquakes and older houses

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop1952 at att.net
Wed Mar 30 15:02:55 CDT 2016

PS.  I forgot to mention that it looks to us like our foundation is
brick all the way down, with a large timber, like a railroad tie,
sitting on top of it, with the rest of the house resting on that
timber.  I do agree with one of the commenters that our main concern is
more surviving the actual event, and less preserving the building.  Even
with a 10% deductible, we'll have enough insurance money to build
something and replace the contents.  So I am more interested in figuring
out how to avoid the pancake scenario where the ceiling  and walls
pancake down on us occupants.  One of my roomies said "Maybe we should
build canopy beds that would be strong enough to hold up the roof."

Someone mentioned liability of frackers, there are a few cases wending
their way through the courts. It's interesting because they are setting
up a clash of titans -- Oklahoma Oil Bidness verses the Oklahoma
Insurance Bidness.  Everyone is generally amazed that the Corporation
commission has actually moved as fast as it has to curb produced water
injection well which people seem to think are the primary cause.  The
further north you go in the OKC metro area, the more upscale the
neighborhoods, and the most upscale neighborhoods are squarely within
the heightened danger zone.  And also folks are amazed at how obedient
the oil companies have been.  Only one company balked, and the
legislature rammed through a bill this session with great haste
confirming that the corporation commission does in fact have the
authority to dictate injection pressures and volumes if earthquakes are
happening in the area.

So basically there's a giant science experiment going on -- "how much
water can be injected at what pressures without causing a devastating
earthquake or too many minor earthquakes."

rmw