[Greenbuilding] DIY sloped tiled shower floor, simple version?

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Mon Jul 31 06:17:19 CDT 2017

Hi Reuben,

I've been picking the extensive brainpower here for nearly 17 years. I'm
certain I've gotten much more back than I've given. The proper name for
what I call a strip drain is a trough drain. The URL is of a sample (I
would not buy from the supplier noted--they are expensive. That said, it
was the best pic on a quick internet search.)

https://www.wayfair.ca/QuARTz-by-ACO-Wavy-Linear-36-Grid-Shower-Drain-37241-L626-K~ARTZ1001.html?refid=GX181716672395-ARTZ1001&device=c&ptid=152654793900&targetid=pla-152654793900

Lynelle

On 2017-07-31 12:52 AM, Reuben Deumling wrote:
> I do love this list. Can't believe I've been pestering you folks with
> questions for almost 18 years here.
> I am not familiar with a strip drain in a shower, though I think I
> understand the thinking that would suggest looking into something like
> this. Are there examples of these you could point me to?
>
> thanks all!
>
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Lynelle Hamilton
> <lynelle at lahamilton.com <mailto:lynelle at lahamilton.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've had two curbless showers (both installed in a concrete slab).
>     Sloped both to the drain (3") cement, epdm, mortar and tile (flat
>     stones in the last one). Worked like a charm. NEVER had any
>     overflow problems. Will install one in the new place, but use a
>     strip drain as mentioned in previous posts.
>
>     Lynelle
>

>     On 2017-07-30 7:07 PM, Norbert Senf wrote:
>>     This page has good instructions, including a video of how to do
>>     the EPDM corners:
>>     https://www.askmediy.com/how-to-make-a-shower-pan/
>>     <https://www.askmediy.com/how-to-make-a-shower-pan/>
>>

>>     On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Reuben Deumling
>>     <9watts at gmail.com <mailto:9watts at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         I'm coming around to the curb idea. I thought I'd learned
>>         here in response to a previous question that a curb was
>>         unnecessary, but with a plugged drain scenario, yeah...
>>
>>         EPDM pan sounds good to me. Would you slope the floor beneath
>>         the EPDM? Is this a matter of sourcing some of it and
>>         carefully folding the corners?
>>         Mortar - I can work with that.
>>
>>         On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 3:33 PM, RT <ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
>>         <mailto:ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>             Reuben;
>>             Can't see any sketch and I don't know what you've seen
>>             on-line but IMO, plopping down some mortar on top of an
>>             EPDM pan is a lot easier and quicker nd ultimately less
>>             costly in terms of time and materials  than futzing with
>>             wood and cement board to make a sloped shower floor tile
>>             base.
>>
>>             re: No curb
>>
>>             Let's say the shower drain gets plugged with hair (or
>>             worse) and someone has turned on the shower and let it
>>             run unattended (or similar) and a few gallons of water
>>             have not found their way down the drain. Could easily happen.
>>
>>             How does the "no curb" design handle such a scenario ?
>>             Is there a gutter somewhere else that leads to a drain ?
>>

>>             On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 15:23:23 -0400, Reuben Deumling
>>             <9watts at gmail.com <mailto:9watts at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>                 Is there any reason I can't cut a bunch of shallow
>>                 wedges laid in a radial pattern that feather toward
>>                 the drain, nail cement board on top, tape the seams
>>                 and lay down the tile?
>>
>>                 This seems a lot simpler than some of the
>>                 instructions I find online. My sketch above doesn't
>>                 include any membrane or treatment of the seams where
>>                 this sloped floor meets walls. The shower in question
>>                 is in the corner of a small upstairs bathroom. The
> [...]

---