[Stoves] What will people pay for a stove?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:55:06 CST 2010

Dear Tuladhar,
it has been my experience that the way people live in the cities is the role
model for the people in the villages. It is unfortunate that the improved
biomass burning stoves are not used in the cities. Since the city dwellers,
including us, the developers of improved stoves, use LPG in our homes, the
villagers too want an LPG stove in their homes.  To get the empty cylinder
changed, they may have to travel upto 25 km, but they do it.
Yours
A.D.Karve

>   .well the whole story behind what the
> users "can" pay and "will" pay is what they expect to benefit from the
> stove in terms of finanicial incentives...is they are making mud
> stoves out of mud they collect from the river banks and spend time
> making them without having to worry about the cost, they would most
> definitely reject outright any costs related to the purchase of the
> stove...this happens in case the users dont have to purchase the fuel
> and hence the fuel costs can be directly related to the
> savings..however if the fuel they use is not purchased and is
> available in plenty they would most definitely not see a direct link
> to them purchasing an efficient stove...micro-finance is a way to go
> for these stoves but I would most definitely like to gather ideas and
> suggestions from you guys about getting the stoves to the users and
> them paying for it...at the moment I am working on developing a dung
> burning stove for South Nepal where the users burn cow dung...I have
> been working on designing the stove and have now fabricated the MACH 1
> stove which seems to work pretty well...have tried to incorporate the
> TLUD principles into the design...still working on it though...any of
> the stovers got any new ideas and opinions on burning of dung they can
> share for the stove...would really appreciate it guys...cheers
>
> Sarbagya Tuladhar
> EWB Australia
>
> --
> Dr. N. Sai Bhaskar Reddy
> CEO GEO <http://www.e-geo.org/> | GOOD STOVES <http://goodstove.com/> | BIOCHAR
> INDIA <http://biocharindia.com/> | GEO Resources<https://sites.google.com/site/geoweblinks/>
> Mobile No. (+91) 9246352018 or 9505760669

> http://www.bioenergylists.org/
> Stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *