[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 8, Issue 4

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:14:51 CDT 2011

Dear Nat

When I worked for IMAX back in the early days we used 25 kW short arc high pressure Xenon filled lamps that have a 5000 degree arc running from two copper blocks (melting point 1083 C). 50 volts, 500 amps!  That is what was original installed at Cinesphere, Ontario Place on Toronto Island.

Later we used 10 kW bulbs developed by the US military that put out even more light which probably means higher temperatures. Same copper inside though. It is all a matter of how you keep it cool: 3000 gallons an hour of water passing through the bulb! Heh heh. Those were the days….. Occasionally they would blow up.

Aluminum can be a very effective reflector or emitted of heat, as you wish.