[Stoves] re Charcoal in Gambia/ WorldStove char in Rwanda

Alex English english at kingston.net
Sat Aug 13 17:01:22 CDT 2011

Hi Fireside (name?)

No its not a sign.

Aside from the inappropriate preposition/typo/brain burp in my question,
the intention is benign curiosity. Perhaps it should be addressed to Nat
at WorldStove.

I once lived in Uganda and traveled to Rwanda. I understand that what
works in one place may not in another.

Rwanda has its own special political, cultural, agricultural, climate
characteristics and I am wondering why Crispin thinks the stove-char for
soil proposal might work there.

Is it the high rural population density and land scarcity?
Has their shocking history of mass violence made them more open to
trying new ideas?
Are the soils acidic?
Is it the lack of woody biomass fuels?
Other reasons?

I like measuring things too :), but this is more of a qualitative query.

Regards

Alex (a friend of Crispin)