[Stoves] Jatropha and its future

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 16 13:31:21 CDT 2011

Christina (And Jan),

   Just to let you (and everyone) know, I was able to successfully
use/burn whole Jatropha nuts in a natural draft Top-Lit- UpDraft (TLUD)
stove (made out of tin cans) at the recent CHAB Camp hosted by the
Biomass Energy Foundation in Belchertown, MA.  I did it outdoors on a
windy day.
   While I did not intentionally inhale the smoke, I do not believe that
the smoke of the J-nuts was any more toxic than other types of smoke.
Hugh McLaughlin actually explained that the smoke from a Jatropha fire
was likely just as toxic as from any other fire -- smoke of any kind
tends to be something one should not breathe [hence the warning on
cigarette boxes].
  My little natural draft TLUD produced very little smoke once the
secondary airflow was adjusted properly and pyrolyzing the Jatropha
nuts, although when it was left unattended it did start smoking a little
bit at the end of the burn as the stove attempted to burn through the
resulting biochar.  (Although if this were running indoors, I would
probably be more worried about the CO being produced than any toxicity
that might arise from the J-nuts.)

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   603-48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754; 647-886-8754 (cell)
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee member, Canadian Biochar Initiative
   President, Co-founder&  CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
     Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://grassrootsintelligence.blogspot.com
    www.biochar.ca

Biochar Offsets Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but innovators need to address problems before they become absolute necessities..."