[Stoves] Fuel production, biochar, and feeding the stove in 2040

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:54:39 CDT 2011

Dear AD

I remember you telling us about this a few years ago. Very interesting, to
say the least!

I presume you have measured the CO2 concentration in the morning. What is it
on an average day?

I am wondering if the limitation on evaporation of water produced by
limiting the wind makes a difference as well. Is this practised in a low
wind environment? It seems the mixing by wind wouldn't leave much CO2
behind.

There was a time (early 80's) when tobacco was grown in the US in
greenhouses that were heated by natural gas burners that vented into the
greenhouse. It was found that highly carcinogenic compounds were formed at a
higher rate although it was not the higher CO2 that did it, it was an
incomplete  combustion product. It was quickly banned as a fertilisation
practise about the mid-80's.

I had hoped to use the emissions from stoves to fertilise things but so far
I am unconvinced there would be a reliable and clean exhaust stream. If it
doesn't work with something as clean as natural gas it is going to be more
difficult with wood.

Regards
Your agro-fan Crispin
++++++

Dear Crispin,
that plants grow faster with supply of air containing higher amounts of
carbon dioxide is a well known phenomenon. In fact, it is one of the factors
contributing to higher yield in greenhouses. In peninsular India we grow
crops throughout the year. They need neither artificial heating nor cooling.
Our Institute therefore developed the concept of a topless greenhouse, which
consists of just a skirting of plastic film around plots of 10m X 10m size.
Carbon dioxide is about 1.5 times as heavy as ordinary air. Therefore when
plants breath out carbon dioxide in the night, the field plots surrounded by
the plastic skirting act as tanks which store the carbon dioxide. In the
morning, when the sun rises, the plants utilize this carbon dioxide in the
process of photosynthesis. Because of the higher concentration of carbon
dioxide in the air, the rate of photosynthesis is higher.
Although this concept has not yet been accepted by the science
establishment, a lot of farmers have started using it to raise high value
crops like coloured capsicum and flowers. We have not patented this
technology. Anybody can use it.
Yours
A.D.Karve