[Stoves] [biochar] allAfrica.com: Africa: Biochar -Unfulfilled Promises in Cameroon

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 23:18:31 CST 2011

Dear Alex,
the soil in our area is called vertisol, or black cotton soil. It has pH
values ranging from 8.5 to 8.7. The weathered derivative of this soil is
laterite, which is red in colour and it is formed under tropical high
rainfall conditions. The high rainfall leaches out a lot of things from the
soil, so our laterites are poor in phosphate, but rich in aluminium
(bauxite) and iron. I have devedloped the concept of applying small
quantities of high calorie organic material to the soil (about 25 kg sugar,
starch or proteins per hectare, or about 125 kg green leaves per hectare)
to increase the number of micro-organisms in the soil. This allows farmers
to conduct agriculture without any chemical fertilizers, because the
micro-organisms absorb the minerals in the soil and make them available to
plants. Literally thousands of farmers are following this practice and
getting good results. Farmers ask me about applying charcoal to their soil
and I advice them to try it out, but no farmer in our area has reported
success with application charcoal to his soil.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--
***