[Stoves] When to choose fuel saving stoves over briquettes? Some answers

Jean Kim Chaix jkimchaix at charcoalproject.org
Fri Jan 14 15:34:30 CST 2011

Dear Colleagues,

Many threads have passed since I posed my question to the group about how to
choose between a cookstove and a briquette program for the community we are
working in Uganda.

And thank you for the very good questions and suggestions made in response.

Belong is again my poorly stated question, along with some specific answers
to questions posed by the group.

Hi, stovers.
Question: a community in Africa, where woodfuel is in short supply, is
considering starting a briquette program. (The area does have access to ag
waste for briquette-making.) If cost is not an issue, should the community
invest in briquette making technology or try distributing high efficiency
cookstoves? Or both? Thanks in advance. Kim

Some known knowns:
1. The community is in Rubaare, off the road between Kampala and Rwanda. Our
partner is the school district that operates a couple of elementary schools
and high schools and a vocational training center. The schools serve a
community of about 1000 people.

2. We are in the process of arranging for a consultant to visit the area to
do an energy needs and biomass-availability assessment. At this point we
don't know what type of ag waste is available.

3. The project will incorporate cookstoves and fuels and possibly and energy
plantation, if needed.

4. We won't know what other materials are available until the assessment is
carried out.

5.  Our role is to help guide and finance the project with the help of local
consultants and our on-the-ground partners.

Some answers to questions posed:
1. Otto Formo: We certainly like gasifiers if we can make them work with the
fuels we will have at our disposal. My understanding is that briquettes
don't combust optimally in a charcoal-burning stove. The ideal situation
would be if could find or make the right stove for the right briquette.

2. Ronald Hongsermeir: I should have been clearer. I meant the start-up
costs for the project are not an issue as I don't expect them to be huge, at
least not in the early phase. But, ultimately, the goal is for the project
to be self-sustaining, of course.

3. Crispin: We definitely need answers about the communities ability to
purchase a stove and/or briquettes. We hope to get this info in our
assessment.

4. Richard Stanley: I should have waited to have the energy assessment in
hand before posting the question. Thanks for the data showing the relation
between people and biomass needs.  We definitely wish to take advantage of
all the expertise that has been developed by pioneers in this field such as
the Legacy Foundation.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Best regards,

Kim