[Stoves] Air power Re: Burning saw dust in TLUD stove

Marc Pare mpare at gatech.edu
Tue Jan 18 10:44:00 CST 2011

Crispin, Doc, et al.,

Some details from very recent work to add detail to this comment:

>2.  We need feet of chimney height to equal what a small fan can
accomplish, and a blower gives even more power.

Well, how much is actually needed? We need to break out the combustion
analysers again and get the readings.

Dr. Belonio has a good analysis of this question for rice husk gasification
stoves in his handbook.<http://www.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/Belonio/Belonio_gasifier.pdf>

His approach is to take the necessary equivalence ratio and cook time
desired to calculate a desired mass flowrate. He converts that into a
superficial velocity, which, can be used to find the pressure drop through
the bed of fuel (in his case, rice husk) via the Ergun equation.

Down in Northwest GA, we can get natural draft rice husk stove to run with 1
meter of chimney. We are hoping to reduce the amount of chimney needed, but
it's going to take better understanding of the first issue Doc brought  up:
correctly splitting the primary and secondary air.

One advantage of pushing air through the bed of fuel is that it provides the
syn gas more time to carbonize (I'm not sure that's the right term) as it
filters through the bed of char. In practice, this means that we observe
blue flames when using a fan on a rice husk stove but yellow/orange flames
in the natural draft versions. Both are smokeless, but I am very curious as
to whether one is cleaner than the other.

Hope this is interesting to folks on the list. I'm working on these
questions actively, would be happy to speak to others that are, too. Seems
like there's some real opportunity for some engineering here since the
tipping point between getting a natural draft stove working with a chimney
is right on the verge of what's possible with appropriate materials...

Marc Paré
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology | Université de Technologie de Compiègne

my cv, etc. | http://notwandering.com