[Stoves] Fire Stump / stump-incuts

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Jul 28 13:36:30 CDT 2011

Roger,

We developed the efficiency and emissions protocols for heating appliances
that you refer to in Oregon in the late 70s and adopted them in the early
1980s. They were later adopted by the EPA. We did the initial work in
collaboration with other countries which adopted similar protocols. The
$20,000 fees charged by OMNI and other labs are what we live with. Most
stove companies use consultants or their own equipment to get preliminary
numbers. The equipment used for improved cooking stoves (like the PEMS -
Portable Emissions Monitoring System - available from Aprovecho Labs) are
not a substitute for the EPA tests.

Our focus here is for cooking stoves for developing countries not domestic
heating appliances. Domestic heating appliances get the higher efficiency at
substantial costs, either for fuel preparation (pellets) or for controlling
combustion and heat transfer. Here we try to achieve higher efficiency and
lower emissions at very low costs but the appliances are for cooking, not
heating, and the metrics are different.

Jim Jetter of EPA just presented a webinar testing done for cooking stoves,
not domestic (US) appliances.   See www.pciaonline.org

Tom