[Stoves] Anticipation of fuels; Another interpretation

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Thu Jun 23 18:36:47 CDT 2011

Hello Dean,

Now that we see you guys are getting into biomass processing, welcome:

However, while I respect your insights about the macro data on trends toward biomass processing, actual production trends turn out to be a bit of a different reality on the ground:

1) The costs you assign  to it's processing in fact much FAVOR the third world and not our own over industrialised world--not at least yet for the mass market here. The reason is that labor is about 90 to 95 % of the total production cost at the local level..As long as one stays very local in sourcing materials and local in distribution of the product to the market in low cost labor environments, it works out well (read, economically viable and environmentally sustainable) for them.

2) Amp up the production to justify our wage costs here in the US part of the Americas, the issues of bulk value and shipping cost and ease of local replication all work against the US model of centralized mass production and wide distribution.

•  At a density of 0.3 to 0.4 sg. –and reducing that figure by another 30% for realistic packing density– you have  one full cubic meter containing only 120 to 150 kgs. Its street value is about 10 (US) cents per KG in the third world generally, but as made for sales in the retail store here one might get 5 x that  –wholesale to said retailer but thats still what,  $75 dollars / cubic meter /150 kgs of fuel --before shipping.
Now how far can one ship that bulk before its cost doubles and again that delivered price will again increase by at least 30% before it gets to the customer.

But the really big,  added nail in the "do it here, not in the third world school"/  coffin, is that;
• it is an open sourced and easily replicated product. Even if one suceeds in shipping their biomass product of the above density to the neighboring town its going to be far more costly thant what can be easily replicated right in that town.  Anyone with a few hand tools and some scrap lumber can replicate it in no time. Two serious producers with a modfied yard chipper  (say 3-4 Kw ) and even the most efficient of hand powered presses can produce   about 120 kgs of product a day. They might double that with a modified log splitter but the point is that their market will be very competitive with the transported product but its still going to remain competitive only for their own local market area.

It is not a case of making product in bulk and shipping it widely: Quite the opposite case in fact. Ground transportation is not about to get less expensive (although we keep hearing about this wonderful new thing called natural gas (unless you've viewed Gassland).

In sum, unless we go to specialty briquettes for selected ambiance/ armotheraputic or toursit markets, it will never really hit home here as a product for centralised production and mass distribution--unless its  done under someone's, or some institution's  largesse, for those who are disnefranchised and destitute.

At least as we have seen it emerge over the past odd 17 years in now 45 nations, it seems to expand– not as large centralised produciton activites–but rather as an increasing number of widely distributed small scale production activities.

However inefficient–from the idealised "economies of scale" standpoint– these small local entities are  pretty good at generating lots of small incomes, integrating communities, sustaining and self regulating themselves outside donor or political or other sectarian influences.  Thye pretty much function quietly like the vast majority of economic activity in the local economies,  in what what the UN calls "informal sector".   You won't find the briquette producers turning up in Shell grants, Ashdon Awards  or even the PCIA.. but they are there and growing none the less.

I think that only when the US gets to the point where local production of solid fuel for local-only markets, is found viable and culturally favored (as for example food is, in local farmers markets), will we see biomass production for fuel as a viable concept here. I do not see them coming out of COSTCO of Home Depot anytime soon.

Kind regards

Richard Stanley
www.legacyfound.org
Ashland Oregon