[Stoves] [biochar] SCAD Farm Science Center,...and Anila stove

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed May 18 10:56:22 CDT 2011

Dear Stovers and biochar enthusiasts, and Prof. Ravikumar if someone
can forward this to him for some comments.

The video referenced by Eric (see below) is well worth watching for
both biochar and for stoves interests, especially for developing
countries.  The case study shown is in India with Prof. Ravikumar and
his Anila stove is shown at the end.  Congratulations to all whose
work is shown in the video!!!!

Questions that I have:

1.  There is a brief glitch in the audio and it is not clear if the
biochar research has been going on for two or for twelve or some other
number of years.  If 12 years, further documentation should be
gathered.  RESULTS of biochar used in soils needs more success
stories, and I hope that some can be generated from this work in India.

2.  The Anila stove:  The video shows sawdust being put into the
Anila, but the charcoal that is dumped out is clearly chared sticks.
Further reporting (not just via video) would be useful.

3.  The video shows the lighting of the central fuel-combustion
chamber of the Anila, clearly ignited at the top (as in a TLUD), but
that is different from previous explanations that I have had of the
Anila.

4.  Related to #3 above, I thought that the Anila expells its
pyrolytic gases (those created in the retort annulus) a the bottom so
that the gases were combusted in the central chamber, giving more heat
that drives the pyrolysis in the retort.  But that concept does not
match well with what is shown in the video.  Just not enough shown to
have my questions answered, so I hope that further info can be obtained.

Again, congratulations to all for their hard work and accomplishments.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)