[Stoves] SPAM: Re: Chart of breathable particles

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Fri May 20 01:41:36 CDT 2011

On Friday 20 May 2011 00:42:13 Erin Rasmussen wrote:
> Shapes are particularly interesting to me, but that's a different
> chart. It seems to me that it's partially the shape, sharpness and
> breaking of the particles that seems to be the worst thing about
> asbestos - or am I wrong?

I'd be interested to know more about this, I was told that one of the
things that made asbestos fibres difficult for the immune system to
remove was that their aspect ratio was too large for a white blood
corpuscle to engulf them so they might be expelled from the body.

I don't know why the different types, brown, blue and white (chrysolite?)
have differing effects. I don't think any form of asbestos is allowed in
products in UK now whereas in the past it was used in plaster, linoleum,
concrete sheets, high temperature insulation and brake linings.

How does it differ from rockwool and cerablanket which are man made silica
based fibres?

AJH