[Stoves] SPAM: Re: Chart of breathable particles

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri May 20 06:09:24 CDT 2011

Dear Andrew

Good question:

"How does it differ from rockwool and cerablanket which are man made silica
based fibres?"

The answer seems to be that no one really knows yet. The misery of asbestos
is caused directly by the very short fibres (not the longer ones) poking
holes repeatedly into cell walls. This eventually leads to scaring issues
and mixing of things that should not be. That leads to cancer.

The effect of candida when starved of sugar is similar. It changes shape and
goes crazy poking holes in cells in a desperate attempt to get the sugars
inside. If you eat a Western diet and stop eating sugar entirely, you get
swollen lips from this effect. Left to its own devices, it causes rectal
cancer, apparently for the same physical reason as the asbestos. One book on
this is "The Yeast Syndrome".

Asbestos, whether light or dark in colour, needs to be short to cause damage
so it is the handling of it, not really the original product that is the
problem. Cutting asbestos-cement window sills with an angle grinder is about
the dumbest thing I have ever seen with my own eyes.

Occasionally I post links here to ceramic cloth and insulation materials.
These are sent to me via a weekly newsletter from GlobalSpec Alerts. They
are all in the business of making alternatives for stoves, furnaces and
kilns (and outer space applications). There are some really big advances in
the ceramic fibre industry but how can a similar, thin, short fibre inhaled
be any better? Doesn't look too good to me but the connection is not yet
'proven'.

Long fibre asbestos is allowed at 1 fibre per cubic metre in cement and tar
etc. I don't see how that is much use but apparently it is because of the
high strength.