[Stoves] SPAM: Re: Chart of breathable particles

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Fri May 20 12:00:43 CDT 2011

Dear AJH,

The size was based from what they were finding in lungs that were causing
problems. The shape was determined as a five to one ratio (if I remember
correctly) because when looking at these small fibers under a microscope you
would not determine if they were asbestos or not. You were just counting all
fibers that had a crystal structure and the correct size and ratio.

Of the six types only one was rope like and able to be woven into fabric and
that was chrysolite. All the others looked like broom bristles. Hole a bunch
in your hand and the two ends look like spikes of stiff material. Look under
a microscope at asbestos fibers and as you go to higher higher power all the
fibers had spikes sticking out at the ends. And along the sides are spikes.
Viscous looking. They do not bend and tend to break off. Cover them in tar
and when the tar (roofing, linoleum) is cut there will be always be fibers
inside that are not coated. Always a problem.

Frank

Frank Shields
Control Laboratories, Inc.
42 Hangar Way