[Stoves] High mass space heating options Re: Rocket Stove for the PLACE

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 9 00:42:40 CDT 2011

Alex and all,

That is an excellent observation about the "steady state" similarities.

But having a "regular fire" that is not steady state (as in rising to
a high fire and then progressively dying back) as the source of the
heat is not necessarily any better or any worse.

The issue about the TLUD is that its "steady state" can be as a nice
stable cooking fire, but it can also be steady as providing a raging
flame.  This can be easily done with simple forced air (FA) methods
such as fans and blowers into the primary and secondary air inlets.
And the discussion is currently focused on heaters for
developed/affluent/with-reliable-electricity societies.

Steady does not mean small nor large.  If the high mass stoves need
high heat, the TLUDs can provide it.  And with the evident sizes of
these high mass stoves/heaters, there is sufficient room for TLUD fuel
chambers (pyrolytic reactors to create the gases) to have both
intensity and duration (such as for 45 minutes to 2+ hours) with a
single batch.

The high mass heater-stoves is an application or use of the heat.  I
have much to learn about that, but what is known about TLUDs as the
possible devices to provide the heat gives us great confidence that
the combination of TLUDs and high mass heaters can have great potential.

And when we have a few successes in the affluent countries, that will
spur us on to do things for the developing societies in cold climates.

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)